Located on the Hotelâ€™s 26th floor by the rooftop pool, with wraparound views of Beirutâ€™s downtown skyline, mountains and the Mediterranean Sea stretching under a canopy of stars, the modish urban tapas lounge offers the perfect perch from which to enjoy sundowners and balmy summer evenings to the tune of the seasonâ€™s hottest club tunes. [RagMag]
I went to the Roof last week after having won a competition with RagMag for free drinks and tapas. Standing almost 120 meters above sea level, The Roof is the highest rooftop in Lebanon (if I am not mistaken) with a breathtaking view of Beirut. It directly overlooks the Zaytounay Bay and St.Georges Marina as well as Biel and its surrounding. It’s one of those places where you sit down, have a drink, enjoy the unique view and just relax for an hour or two.
The Roof is on top of the building on the left
Just like I said and to sum it up, the Roof is a great place to have drinks in the afternoon and gaze over the sea and city. I asked the manager if they hold parties there and he told it’s a lounge not a party place but there’s a DJ every day from Tuesday to Sunday from 7pm till 1am. I have no idea about the prices as I wasn’t handed a menu but I can imagine it will be relatively expensive, say 15$ a cocktail or more.
The Lebanese designer Karim Habib has been named the new design chief at BMW. He’s the guy behind the new 7-series which I think looks great and reminds me of the older beemers from the 80s. The fact that a Lebanese is in charge of the design at BMW is pretty cool and fitting. Who loves their cars more than us? More info available [Here]
May 20th, 2012
– Sheikh Ahmad Abdel Wahad killed along with his bodyguard after being shot at an army checkpoint
– A young man who got stabbed few days ago succumbed to his wounds and died at Makassed Hospital. Army & ISF are surrounding the hospital.
– Gun shots heard in Halba
– Lebanese Army kicked out of Halba and all roads closed
– Gunmen all over Halba streets and its surrounding.
– All Akkar roads were closed and blocked by tires.
– All roads leading to Tripoli closed by angry demonstrators. Gunshots heard in Tripoli.
– Bekaa road closed by demonstrators.
– Eb Elias road closed.
– Khaldeh Road closed.
– Bechara el Khoury and Mazraa roads closed by demonstrators in Beirut.
– Roads closed in Verdun.
May 21st, 2012 - Gun shots heard near Cola.
– Saida road closed
– Clashes between FM supporters and Chaker Bourjawi supporters in Tarik Jdeede
– Clashes between Beb el Tebbane and Jabal Mohsen in Tripoli
– RPGs being used in Tarik Jdeede in Beirut
– Saida Road closed.
– Baddawi Deir Ammar road closed both ways.
– Jeb Jennine road closed
– Keb Elias – Bohsas roads closed.
– Few roads in Beirut closed.
– Sitin at the Zouk PowerPlant after one of the employees disappeared.
– Chtaura – Jdita road closed.
– Demonstration in front of the serail.
– Tal Abbas road closed.
– Gun shots heard coming from Syria in Lebanese village Bkaii3a.
– Neemeh road closed
– Two bombs exploded in Beb el Tebbane
May 22nd, 2012 - Akkar roads closed
– Chadi Mawlawi released on bail.
– Gun shots in Tripoli to celebrate Mawlawi’s release.
– Free Syrian Army kidnapped 12 Shiite Lebanese
– Tire burning in front of Mar Mikhail Church
– Roads closed in Dahieh. Tyres burning everywhere.
– Airport road closed
– Salim Salam road closed
– Clashes in Eben Seena street in Kobbe, Tripoli.
May 23rd, 2012 - Bomb Scare at Airport
– Shooting in Jdeideh kills 1 person and injures 3.
– Clashes in USJ between Hezbollah and Kataeb students
– Convoys in Kaslik in support of the Lebanese Army.
– Airport Road closed
– Sarba (South) road closed
– Hand grenade thrown at a mosque in Tripoli
– Gun shots in Hamra and Caracas.
– Hand Grenade explodes in Raouche
Maybe now our dear government and prime minister will understand why Arab countries have advised their citizens not to visit Lebanon. That is just sad!
June 1st: Opening Ceremony
Fireworks, gunfire using various assault rifles (M16, AK47 etc…) and a synchronized RPG show will be performed by the Bin Laden Revolutionary band. Two cars will be exploded at the end of the show.
June 2nd: Head Shot Contest
Sniper rifles will be distributed to 100 participants along with a map of Beirut containing 150 selected roof tops. The participant with the highest number of headshot casualties wins. No killing of animals will be allowed, only humans.
June 3rd: Bus Racing
This event will be sponsored by the Reviving the Lebanese Civil War Association and funded by the Friends of Lebanon International Organization. The game is simple: 5 buses will start the race at different locations in Beirut and will be asked to pick up civilians at designated checkpoints around the city. Once the busses get filled up they will then have to get past Ain el Remmaneh without getting shot at. The bus with the least amount civilian casualties wins.
June 4th: Death Race – Beirut Edition
Death Race movie director Paul W.S. Anderson and actor Jason Statham will be the proud guests of this event where various heavily armed cars will race in the streets of Beirut. All types of weapons will be allowed and road-side bombs will be planted at various undisclosed locations. A Tripoli-Halba edition will follow at a later stage.
June 5th: Tire Burning
Michelin and the F1 official tire supplier Pirelli will be the sponsors of this new and innovative game. 25 Lebanese drivers with a â€œZouzou Ebbaâ€ profile will have to race their way through Beirut streets while a large group of volunteers will try to block the roads with tires. Once the tires are set on fire, the road will be considered as closed and the driver will have to find an alternative route to the finish line. Hit and runs will be allowed.
June 6th: Closing Ceremony
A group of suicide bombers will entertain the crowds on the closing day and one of them will be performing his act live. This is a must-see event as he will only be able to perform it once. Artillery shots and synchronized car bombings will follow to mark the end of the Beirut War Games 2012 edition.
Just heard the most unbelievable story. A friend arrived to Beirut Sunday late at night from a short trip abroad and she took a cab and was heading home. She was dozing off in the backseat when her cab got pulled over on the airport road by masked gunmen who ended up driving off with her in the back seat. They started driving around shooting from the window so she started screaming. One of the gunmen put a gun to her head and told her to stop screaming. They continued to drive and fire their weapons out of the window so she started to scream again. One of the guys yelled to throw her out so without stopping they threw her out of the window. She was all bloodied up but there was a lot of fighting around her so she crawled to safety and then found shelter near the Sports City Stadium where she managed to call a friend who was able to come pick her up.