Internet Population Vs. Internet Penetration [High-Res]
Ipsos MENA had a very interesting presentation yesterday at ArabNet covering statistics related to internet penetrations, internet usage and consumption habits in the region. For those of you who don’t know, Ipsos is the 3rd largest market research firm in the world with over 5000 clients worldwide and a direct presence in 85 countries. Ipsos MENA is the leading market research company in the region with over 800 clients and covering more than 20 countries.
I was able to get my hands on the presentation (Thank you Dalia) and thought I share with you some interesting stats related to Lebanon:
– Lebanon ranks 5th in terms of internet penetration in the region, with 56%. UAE, Kuwait and Qatar are in the first three positions, with 75%, 64% and 61% respectively.
– Reading news online is the top consumed type of media in all countries except ksa where online TV consumption dominates.
– Penetration of social networks in Lebanon stands at 47%, compared to 88% in Jordan, 79% in Egypt, 73% in the UAE and 68% in Saudi Arabia.
– Penetration of e-commerce among Internet users is 9% in Lebanon, 35% in Kuwait and 46% in UAE.
– The top products purchased on line in Lebanon are clothes (38%), Airline tickets (11%) and Hotel bookings (11%).
– Penetration of Smartphones in Lebanon: 36% vs. 63% in KSA and 61% in UAE.
– Penetration of online streaming across Internet Users in Lebanon: 23% only (Series, Movies, Music Videos).
– 38% of Internet users download online in Lebanon. 86% download music.
– Penetration of Electronic Games among total population: 37% in Lebanon vs. 40% in Jordan which is the highest. We are obviously hooked on games here.
It’s quite sad to see horoscopes as being in the top 3 online contents of interest in Lebanon.