May Arida, the President of Lebanon’s prestigious Baalbek International Festival and “a name that raises so much values, so many memories” has passed away aged 92.
Here’s a small biography of Arida’s numerous accomplishments and honors:
– President of the Baalbek International Festival from 1973 till 2018
– President of the Lebanese Water Skiing Federation from 1953 till 1961. She organized the first world championship of water skiing in Lebanon. She also won once the Lebanese Skiing Championship.
– Member of The National Heritage Foudation, 1996 – present.
– Member of the executive committee of the Lebanese National Conservatory, 1952.
– Founded the first acting school in Lebanon with Mounir Abou Debs in 1960.
– Named among the top 100 European and Arab Women managers by the EPAM Media group, Women Chief ExecutiveOfficers of Belgium, and BE press agency.
Awards and Distinctions: [Source]
– Shield of Appreciation from the Arab Administrative Association on the occasion of the 1st Forum on Festivals in the Arab Countries, 2009.
– Commander of the Isabelle la Catholique Order from the King of Spain, 2009.
– Commander of the Star rank of the Italian Solidarity from President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, 2005.
– Commander of National Order of Cedars from President Emile Lahoud, 2000.
– Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur from President Valéry Giscard d’Estaing, 1978.
– Gold Medal of Lebanese Merit from President Suleiman Franjié, 1976.
The pictures were taken from an interview with May Arida in [Prestige].