Biometric passports are officially available as of today. Anyone can apply for the new passport and those who wish to replace their old passports can also do so. According to the below FTV report, the documents needed are as follows:
– Passport Request Form to be filled out at the mayor’s office.
– Applicant’s original Individual Civil ID (Ikhraj Kayd Fardi) or or his original new Lebanese I.D. card.
– One recent color photo showing full details of the face with a white background.
– The old passport if available.
– The price will remain the same, $40 or 60,000 LL for one year and $200 or 300,000 LL for 5 years.
Design wise, I think they should have kept the big Cedar tree in the middle showing like the one before. It’s a nice and modern-looking passport but the Cedar tree in the middle is barely showing.
Those who just renewed their passports will NOT need to replace their existing ones. As for Lebanese expats, I believe they should follow the same procedure at any embassy. Check out this useful [link] taken from the website of the Lebanese Embassy in Washington.